And meet we did. Two hours was not long enough. So much time, so many changes, and yet, they are just the same as I remember. It was so good to see them. It's hard to explain, but spending that time with them brought me back to my true self. The one that I was as a child, before the stresses and demands and expectations of adulthood come along. Before life experiences and responsibilities color us and mold us. I feel stronger in who I am now, when I am able to revisit the child I was then. Ironic, eh?
And so, the memories! My sister and I were flower girls in Nancy's wedding. Their mother and I had the same birthday. Every year we walked over to their house to watch Rudolph at Christmas time on TV. I remember that they drove a Volkswagon Bug. My sister Ali and I would cram ourselves into the tiny back seat. One time their younger brother, Buddy, babysat us and we were throwing couch pillows and he got pizza all over the pillows. LOL. On my 10th birthday their mother gave me a book titled 'White Gloves and Party Manners'. I actually might still have it. She also made me a pilgrim costume for something that I had to do in 6th grade. It was purple with a white cap, collar and apron. She mixed meatloaf with her hands. They had a huge black dog, I am thinking a lab/great dane mix? He was named Lincoln, after the guy on the Mod Squad. So many little memories.....every single one being warm, cozy and good. I remember wanting my mother to look like their mother because, to me, she looked like how a mother 'should' look: greying hair, a little round, shorter. My mother, on the other hand was tall, slim, brunette and glamorous. Ha!
And that baby I mentioned in this post? The one that I pushed in his carriage and thought I was in heaven? He was Nancy's son, Adam. I loved that baby. He's all grown up now, married with a child of his own.
I am thankful that they were able to make the jaunt to our neck of the woods amidst their own exciting wedding shower plans. We hope to see them again someday.