And so on we go. We are trying out the Eyemax by Dynavox. It is not going so well. First of all, the touch screen is not sensitive enough for her light touch. Secondly, it is very heavy. I cannot rest it on her knees because I am afraid it will hurt her thighs. Thirdly, when the eyegaze is turned on she tends to move around a bit and the machine loses her 'eyes' so when she does make a choice with her eyes, oftentimes she is not able to be registered by the device. Also, when you turn it on to use it, it takes about 4 minutes to warm up and get ready, which means you have to know ahead of time that the child wants to say something. You cannot leave it on all the time near her because the battery will run out. I suppose you could keep it plugged in.
What do I like? The software is good. Clear and simple enough for her. Large enough font. I like the voice output and the way the eyegaze works. But it has a loud click when it recognizes a choice and that startles her every time. So much so that she is reluctant to choose again :(
So that's where we are so far. We will have it for 3 more weeks so that's good. The more information the better.
Otherwise, she is well. And happy. She didn't gain any more weight this week, but maybe next week....we keep going.
Her brother Jimmy called and said he is sending her 'something' in a big box and to watch for a delivery. Fun. Fun!!!!