It has been a busy week for us in Sarah's arena. She sure keeps this Mamma on her toes. I noticed this past week a red area in her groin. Under the skin was this huge lump. Owwww! So off to the pediatrician we went and she clearly has an infection. A wound culture was done and she was put on antibiotics. Huge capsules. In case it was a MRSA infection. MRSA is one bug you do not want to have.....Hmmmm.
She does not take liquid medicine, just lets it dribble out of the corners of her mouth. So she has taken pills for years. I just put one in a bite of food and down it goes. Chewing the pill is not an issue because she can't chew :)
So I am giving Sarah these large green capsules twice a day. And holding my breath each time I watch her swallow one. I cannot believe she can get them down. It is amazing. Really.
And what else do I have to do, this one being three times a day? Warm compresses on the red area, after which I am instructed to drain some of the infection. Well. let me tell you, this is not fun. First of all, she doesn't lie still, the best way to do this is put her in her shower chair and put the flowing warm water right on it. For 20 minutes, while we sing songs. Fun. fun. I have never had a cleaner child.
So how's it coming? Well, the lump is smaller. Yay. It doesn't seem as painful to her. Yay. The wound culture shows simple E-coli, no MRSA. Another yay.
And the best news of all? She gained another whole pound this week! Go Sarah. We are halfway to her goal of 71.5 pounds.
So, we have to continue this antibiotic for another week, continue the warm soaks and keep loading her up on calories. But all is going in the right direction. Yay:)
As for me? I need a vacation.