Sarah turned 18 yesterday. Last week I had to sign an official paper as her mom for care hours that she receives and suddenly I became aware that this was the last time I would EVER sign something as her guardian. It struck me in that one moment. This was. the. last. time. Ouch! I held the pen suspended in air, hovering over the printed line upon which I was to sign my name and took in the moment. I didn't say anything to the person there, but I felt the significance of it inside myself. Eighteen years of being recognized as the 'legal go-to' person for my Sarah. And that is now no more.
Sarah's brothers will be her guardians after a hearing in 2 days. Of course, they will defer to me for her decisions, of that there is no doubt. They both live out of state but know her so very well, I have no concerns. The reason I am not going to be her guardian is that her medical care is becoming a bit more complicated, I need to be home more now to care fore her, which means I have to work less. Sarah and I can't survive financially on 'less'. But I can be paid by the state to take care of her IF I AM NOT HER GUARDIAN. I tell you, the hoops you have to jump through to keep these kids(adults) living in their own homes. It is not easy.
So that is our family's solution. But for now, this weekend, she has no guardian. She is her own person, who can do whatever she wants. No one has any say but her. If only she understood that, lol. I think she'd run right out and get a tattoo!!
So that's how things stand at the moment. A big birthday with lots of legal ramifications. Up next? Battling with the Social Security Office to get her enrolled and to receive the full amount that she deserves. Stay tuned!! Fun times.