Thursday, May 03, 2012

Getting Down To It

Today Sarah had her yearly appointment with her orthopedic surgeon and also her physiatrist, who does her botox. It's a long ride in, about 1and 3/4 hours. This is long for Sarah, since she cannot shift her weight in the car. But she was game for a road trip. I had planned out her morning, so that when we left the house at 2 pm she had had a bath, a nap and lunch before we hit the road. This was quite a feat since she doesn't wake up for the day until 11 am!
Anyway, off we went. She was freshly scrubbed, wide awake and with a full tummy. 

I don't care for the city. I feel like the Grinch as I think " The noise, noise noise!!!!" And I want to cover my ears. And don't even mention the traffic. Kudos to those who struggle with that twice a day. I cannot imagine...

So we made it in and headed to the xray department, which is where the horror resides for Sarah. Two years ago she was very upset by the process of getting xrays. This is because, according to Sarah :

(yes, you are getting a list)

1. It is cold in there.
2. The clothes must come off
3. The table is very hard.
4. There is a lot of loud clicking as films are put in place
5. Any talking at all leads to loud echoes
6. The way oversized johnnie keeps falling off
7. The xray techs are strangers
8. These strangers are forcing her skeleton into uncomfortable angles

Now, this year, add to the list the fact that we are 15 years old and we have a teenage attitude, we have opinions, we don't miss a trick.

You probably get the idea. Suffice it to say, there was a LOT of noise coming from my girl. And I am sure it made it all the way out to the waiting room where other children could hear her distress. Sarah can be very loud when she has a point to make, you know. Those poor kids. Listening to Sarah must have scared them to no end :(

After the 5th xray was taken of hips and spine, I ended the session by saying "That's enough. If Dr. S needs more information, he's going to have to feel it with his hands". And we were done. Sarah was fried. Fortunately, these xrays are done only once every 2 years. Yay for that!

So we met with the Docs and I held my breath waiting to hear if the spine had further curving and if the hips are in place. And we had good news. The spine still only has a 13 degree curve and the hips are right where they need to be. 

Woohoo.

We ate dinner at the hospital and wouldn't you know, right in the middle of it, the restaurant burned something and suddenly the fire alarm started sounding and over the paging system a CODE RED was announced numerous times. OMG. Poor Sarah. The noise, the noise, the noise!! Seriously, I couldn't believe it. I also was surprised at how long it took the fire department to show up at Children's Hospital, as it wasn't a drill.

So we made it through that mess and finally got ourselves into the car and rolled into our driveway around 8:30. Sarah was in bed by nine but had a hard time settling, which was very understandable. She thought about crying a few times as I tucked her in, which is hard for me to see, but I know sometimes it's the only way she has to let it all out so she can relax. However, she decided she didn't need to cry, I sang to her for a  little while(don't laugh, she likes it, haha) and she quieted down. I shut the door and a few minutes later I heard her singing before she fell asleep.

I know you don't need all these little details, but part of the purpose of this blog is for my memories.

And now a couple of pics. This is Sarah as we headed out for the day.

 

And this is Sarah at the end of the day.



Totally done.

And so on we go. Tomorrow will be better, my girl. I love you so.



Related Posts with Thumbnails