Monday, August 09, 2010

A little outing


Tonight after dinner Sarah and I took a ride in the car. She is feeling much better and I knew she would love to get out. It was one of those warm, humid summer evenings with the mildest hint of fog hugging our little town.
And so we drove around, with me picking the bumpier roads because one of Sarah's greatest joys in life is bouncing up and down in the back seat as we make our way over bumps. The faster the better, as far as she is concerned, bringing shrieks and laughter.
I really had no idea where we were headed, just meandering along. We ended up at the boardwalk. If you walk it's length, it takes you to the beach. But tonight it was too late to take the stroll, but I so wanted to get her out of the car and into the breezy salt air, just for a little while.
And then I spotted it. A little wooden bench. A perfect little grey, weatherbeaten bench facing the marsh and an inlet from the ocean. Right near the boardwalk. Close enough that she could hear people milling about and unprotected enough that she could hear all the birds and feel the wind on her face.
And so I carried her to the perfect spot and carefully placed her on the bench so she had time to form her body to the shape of the seat. And then we sat. And listened. She laughed. She turned her face to feel the wind. I told her about the birds. And she listened some more.








And a good time was had by all. We will come back.

Related Posts with Thumbnails