Sarah has always had a hearty appetite. It's one of the reasons she has been so healthy, in my opinion. But lately, she has been turning food down on a few occasions or only eating half of her usual meals. And I don't know why. There are lots of possible culprits.
First of all, John and I are going to weigh her this week to see if she has lost any weight. If not, I will relax about it and figure that if she is not getting taller anymore, she does not need as many calories, and she intuitively knows it.
If she has lost weight then I have to roll up my sleeves and play detective:
Could it be that she has become more finicky? More opinionated on what she eats? More aware that she has a choice of what she can be served?
Or is she having trouble with the consistency of some of her food? Does it need to be easier to swallow? Does it need to be softer? Are some foods just too much work?
And there is always the issue of her slow intestinal motility. Is she 'full' and needs more Miralax to move everything along? Is there just not enough room to eat?
Or is it 'the' Rett Syndrome? Is it a deterioration? Is it inevitable? Will it lead to a G-tube?
I worry.
I need to weigh her.
This week with John.
It's a two person affair.