Friday, January 25, 2008

Injections

Sarah and I traveled to Children's Hospital yesterday at 4:45 am for a 7:30 am appointment in 'day surgery'. She was scheduled for botox/phenol injections in her hamstrings and left foot. She has had this done a few times over the years. The point is to relax those horribly tight hamstrings and left foot. Why are we all concerned about the hamstrings? I mean, really, what's the big deal? Well the tight hamstrings pull on her pelvis which in turn pulls on her spine which gets more 'rounded(slouched)' the tighter the hamstrings get. It's all connected and I do not want any back surgery in her future. So to protect her back we tackle the hamstrings.
These muscles are relentlessly tight. Really, disgustingly tight because that brain of hers TELLS them to tighten. There is nothing wrong with the muscles-just the brain's signals.

So off we went yesterday morning. It is about a half hour procedure done under general anesthesia. As usual, Sarah was cooperative and calm. I follow her stretcher into the OR, put the mask on her face with nitrous oxide and sing to her while they try to start an IV. Sarah is a very difficult stick-meaning it is practically impossible to get a good vein to start an IV. This is written in her chart. Everywhere. She has a little reputation there at Children's because of this. Last time this was done(couple of years ago) it took about 15 minutes of singing before they got an IV in. Everyone had an arm or leg and they were trying all 4 limbs at the same time. She giggles the whole time because of the Nitrous. I was not giggling. I was sweating. Feeling a bit faint. I was about ready to cancel the procedure when her Doc got one in her left foot. This time the anesthesiologist got it in first try!! Wow-I am going to request him next time-lol. We were all impressed in that little OR.

She was done fairly quickly and I went to the recovery room. This time she was really still sleeping and coughing a productive cough and they were suctioning her. When she was little she bounced awake from anesthesia quickly but the older she gets the harder it is for come around and this is the second time the coughing has set in. I am not a fan of the cough. But it is what it is.

They let us go after an hour or so and it was a long ride home for loopy Sarah. She just wanted her bed. And her legs hurt. She is a trooper. She ate a bowl of cereal and drank water. I gave her tylenol for the pain. (She is allergic to the stronger pain meds they usually prescribe). She slept like a stone last night.

Today she is still pale and sleepy, but managed 3 big meals and plenty to drink. She stayed in her pjs all day and is now back in bed for the night. I saw a few smiles late in the afternoon so we are on our way to full recovery. Tomorrow will be better for my girl. She is so sweet I can barely stand it.
Related Posts with Thumbnails