Friday, March 09, 2007

Talking

It has become clear that Sarah understands everything that I tell her. It took me almost 11 years to figure this out, but hey, when you have a kid who can't speak, can barely move, and can't see too well---it's hard to tell. So I am giving myself a break. Anyway, she is quite the little LISTENER. And that is how she learns. So now I have to keep talking, narrating, elaborating...she needs information and descriptions. Like a blind child. But don't ask her to touch anything to learn about it....she hates to touch things, even if you help her. So it's all listening.
So today I "talked" to her all the way home from the mall. Now this is about a 20 minute ride and let me tell you, it is not easy to constantly describe and inform for 20 minutes straight without back and forth conversation. It is entirely a new way of thinking. And I spelled out the "obvious" to her, for instance, I told her that she was sitting in the "back seat"-she thought that phrase was hilarious. I talked about the darkness coming outside, using my blinker, turning left and right, driving fast and then slow, the highway, stopsigns, side streets, exits, police cars...you get the idea. She loved it. She was totally engaged and adding her little squeals and giggles along the way. It really was very interesting to see her response. She's like a little sponge absorbing everything I throw her way.
John has always said that I talked to myself too much....well then this might work out fine as long as I direct myself to Sarah. People won't think I am crazy, or will they?
Related Posts with Thumbnails