
When I was a little girl I had a favorite book. It was titled Karen. It was the most amazing true
story about an extraordinary mom and her daughter. It took place in the 1940s. Karen, the daughter,
was affected by Cerebral Palsy. Mom had to search far and wide for a diagnosis. In those days
these children were hidden from the community and did not attend school. Leg braces and
equipment were heavy, cumbersome and often non-existant. This mom was not daunted by the
challenge ahead of her--that of teaching and raising a child with CP. She was creative, assertive,
and hopeful--not only for her child but for all CP kids. Her journey with Karen was so inspiring
to me. Her can-do attitude was uplifting. She brought the world to Karen--other children, numerous
pets, schooling, younger siblings, family support. I must have read her story 100 times.
The day came when MY daughter was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. It was like an old friend had come to visit my house and I knew exactly how to entertain . I went up to my bedroom closet, dug out
that old childhood book, pages soft and worn, and reread that wonderful story. Karen's mom, Marie,
was my hero. To this day, eight years later, I still pick up that book and reread various passages.
If I had to pick out the one thing Marie said that is the most influential to me it would be that Karen was not
a child afflicted with CP, she was a child affected by CP. She was a child FIRST. I love that. It was
such revolutionary thinking in those days. People learned from Marie's example. Not only did Karen
and Marie teach other, they taught everyone around them. Wow.
story about an extraordinary mom and her daughter. It took place in the 1940s. Karen, the daughter,
was affected by Cerebral Palsy. Mom had to search far and wide for a diagnosis. In those days
these children were hidden from the community and did not attend school. Leg braces and
equipment were heavy, cumbersome and often non-existant. This mom was not daunted by the
challenge ahead of her--that of teaching and raising a child with CP. She was creative, assertive,
and hopeful--not only for her child but for all CP kids. Her journey with Karen was so inspiring
to me. Her can-do attitude was uplifting. She brought the world to Karen--other children, numerous
pets, schooling, younger siblings, family support. I must have read her story 100 times.
The day came when MY daughter was diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy. It was like an old friend had come to visit my house and I knew exactly how to entertain . I went up to my bedroom closet, dug out
that old childhood book, pages soft and worn, and reread that wonderful story. Karen's mom, Marie,
was my hero. To this day, eight years later, I still pick up that book and reread various passages.
If I had to pick out the one thing Marie said that is the most influential to me it would be that Karen was not
a child afflicted with CP, she was a child affected by CP. She was a child FIRST. I love that. It was
such revolutionary thinking in those days. People learned from Marie's example. Not only did Karen
and Marie teach other, they taught everyone around them. Wow.