So here's the deal. I have fallen in love with Compassion International. Or should I say, the children of CI. There is a link on the right side of my blog. The situation is that I have been wanting, in some way, to GIVE. I didn't know what to give or to whom, but my radar has been up for the last year, to find the opportunity that felt right, that spoke to me. Seriously, I had no idea where to turn. I am so tied up working, making ends meet and taking care of Sarah that I really couldn't imagine what it would be, what I could do, what I could fit into my life. But I had the feeling that it would present itself when the time was right. It has been continually gnawing at me. So patience has been the order of these past months.
And it has paid off, big time. Somehow, I came across the link while perusing a blog. I had heard of CI before, but it had never resonated with me, never really caught my attention. This time it was like being hit with an arrow. I clicked and was hooked. For hours over the next few days.
And I knew that this was for me. Such a perfect fit. As much time as working and caring for Sarah consumes, there is enough time for me to see to the needs of other children in our world. Children who need support, encouragement, attention, letters, communication. Children who live in struggling communities far, far away from me. Children who I will now hold close to my heart. With whom I will have a relationship until they graduate from the program at the age of roughly 22. Children who will benefit from what I have to give. I don't have a lot, but I have enough.
As of this writing, I have chosen to fully sponsor 2 children. Luisa is 8 and lives in Colombia. And Christopher(Kwame) is 6, from Ghana. It is his video that is posted below. And as well, I am now a correspondance sponsor for Habiba(age 6 from East India) and I have requested to correspond with a child from the Philippines. That child will be assigned to me shortly. Correspondence children already have financial sponsors but that sponsor does not write to the child. That's where I come in. I will be that child's source of emotional support, letters will be translated and exchanged. For Habiba and a 'surprise child' from the Phlippines.
Words can not express how delighted I am to be a part of this program and to be given the privilege to make a difference in children's lives. Four children. Four beautiful children. To give to.
This, I can do.
I smile all day long.