For the next month I am trialing the Mytobii C12 with Sarah. This is an eyegaze communication device. I have this for one month to see if she can use it appropriately. If so, it will be purchased.
If so.
We've had it 3 days. I am struggling with it. Sarah is struggling with the idea of it.
It is a computer. A complex piece of technology. And technology freezes, changes screens, stops working, runs out of battery time, doesn't respond, is too loud, is too quiet, moves too quickly, takes too long to boot up....and so on.
As far as Sarah is concerned...her thoughts currently include 'What the heck is going on? Why does she keep putting this in front of my face? Where are my little flashcards? What, exactly, does she want me to do? And if I put my head down, will she go away?'
Yup, we are having a grand ole time.
And the fun has just begun! We have 27 more days of this. I haven't told Sarah that though :)
John has been very helpful with us girls. Brainstorming, offering suggestions and encouraging Sarah.
We think she can do this, once she gets the concept. In a little more detail, Sarah has always communicated with us by touching words on flashcards. The operative word here is 'touching'. She is used to using her hand to make choices. Now, I want her to use her eyes.
Her eyes.
Therein is the issue. And I am pushing the issue. Because she could do so much more with her eyes.
And I want to give her more.
I want to give her everything.