Saturday, July 03, 2010

And he's off!

This week I had the pleasure of bringing my second born child to the airport. I have always loved taking the boys and seeing them off and then receiving them upon the return trip. There is the packing, their anticipation, the happy chatter in the car on the way in, the moment of 'are we lost?' and the relief of scoring the perfect parking spot next to the terminal. Oh and let's not forget the moving walkways. Yes, I know, we don't get out much. I love perusing the gift shops and the food courts. And people watching? There is no better place. And Boston's Logan Airport is so clean. And so accessible. The elevators are huge, the walkways wide and the bathrooms gigantic. It's perfectly airconditioned. I could live there.
There is a lot of emotion in an airport. Lots of sad goodbye hugs and excited hellos. Lots of folks running late and then there are the early birds who are waiting for their boarding times.
I remember when I was little and used to fly with my family we got dressed up. Yup! Dressed up! Sister Ali and I in matching outfits and little patent leather shoes, mom in a dress and dad in a sportcoat and slacks. It was a big deal to fly. Now it's casual all the way. Functional. Flipflops and tshirts. Tiny shorts.

And so back to my 'flyer' this week. Mr. John. Off to Washington, DC to stay with his brother Jimmy and also to see his girlfriend. John's sweetie has an internship in DC this summer. So down he went. He's going to have an awesome time. Jimmy is quite the host.

We drove into Logan in record time, parked, had lunch and escorted our John to the security checkpoint. And he was off. So exciting. He hasn't flown by himself before so this was something new. And as usual, mama had tears as she hugged her baby goodbye. I will never, ever, get used to saying goodbye, no matter for how short a time. I've been doing it for seven years since Jimmy started college and I am no better at it now than I was on day one. Where they go, my heart follows. Simple as that. Right now I am down in DC.

Sarah and I strolled around for a while before the long drive back to the Cape. She had a wonderful time. She loves the openness, the airiness of the terminals. She loves the food, the TVs and the hustle and bustle around her. And she is not the only person being wheeled around. There are baby strollers, adults in wheelchairs and also luggage carriers, all being pushed from place to place. She feels a part of the crowd.

And some pictures, of course!













Related Posts with Thumbnails