Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A question from John

"But mom, WHY is Sarah going to be so small? Is it because IF she has cerebral palsy, THAT makes her small? Or is it because 'whatever she has' is making her small?"

Very good question. If Sarah stays the size she is, she will be the size of a typical 10 year old girl for the rest of her life. Does this qualify her as a 'little person'?

I just looked it up and a 'little person' is no taller than 4'10". Interesting. Sarah is 4'8".

But, I digress. The issue is, what contributes to Sarah's petite size? She is a very good eater. Very healthy. No medical issues. I find most people with cerebral palsy to be larger than Sarah in adulthood. Of course, I speak in the dangerous world of generalities here. Shall I just say, I don't think that CP is the answer in Sarah's situation.

I am inclined to say that whatever Sarah 'has' is responsible for her small size. It is part of the 'undiagnosed diagnosis', being one of its many unusual features. I am aware that girls with Rett syndrome tend to be on the small size.

One day soon, I will do a post showing which traits Sarah has that fit the Rett category and those that don't. That would be kind of interesting.

So John, there's your answer. In a round-about way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails