It has been clear since the moment Sarah was born that she was destined for orthodontics. I stuck my pinky finger in her mouth for her to suck on and calm herself. She had the same high-arched palate that we do. Right then, I knew what was ahead for her. All the rest of us have had them with John and myself being the most affected.
She is almost 12 now. We had them put on at age 10. Her teething has been slower than ours, her 6 year molars are just coming in. So I have been waiting. She has one permanent tooth behind the front teeth which will probably have to be pulled. It's not going to be pleasant for her(or me).
There is a local orthodontist who handles special needs kids so we are all set there. I guess I am just not ready for the event and have been putting it off. Yuk.
The teeth pulling. The impressions. The sore lips, gums, teeth. The wax that goes on the sharp places. The work. The worry. I have never done this with a special needs child. I don't know how it is going to go.
Well, today at Sears came the 'sign' I have been waiting for that means it is time to get the ball rolling. In spite of my reluctance. This was it:
A little boy of about 5 years old was looking at Sarah as we waited in line. Sarah was sitting in her wheelchair with her thick glasses on. Staring off in the distance. Not speaking or moving. The child asks his mother: "Mom, why does she have those teeth?" Apparently the teeth are much more obvious to the child than the odd glasses, the wheelchair or her lack of responsiveness. I had to laugh. I must call the orthodontist.