First of all, you may be wondering what is on her head. It is a wonderful thing called a Haddit. You are supposed to use it when you have 'had it' with your hair. Clever, huh? I ordered it from http://www.rosie.com/ . For me it is just fun, but for Sarah it is the only thing that can hold her hair back other than an elastic. Headbands are generally too large for her smaller head and the ones that do fit are not sturdy enough to hold back her thick, heavy hair. She tends to look down a lot(at her hands) and the headbands fall forward and end up on her nose. The Haddit is the best thing ever. It is stretchy and there is loads of material to do whatever I want. It can wrap around a pony tail or Sarah could wear it as a clingy tube top shirt! Now wouldn't that be a sight-lol. So that's what's holding her hair back.
Next up is the fact that she is working on a small object with both hands. (It happens to be my blood pressure medication and she cannot open it-if she did I would hold a parade in her honor!) The thing about this activity is that up until this summer she has never been able to use her left hand for anything while sitting up. Only lying down. For instance, working with her little stuffed animals while lying down in bed. As soon as I sat her up she would drop the left hand and it would become non-functional. It has taken me a solid year to get her to this point of sitting and still using her left hand. There were many tiny baby steps but we made it! Good for her.
And then there is the fact that she has her glasses on. For some reason, she has been popping her contacts out lately. How she does this, I have no idea as her hand movements are very raw, not seeming precise enough to take out a contact........? They do not fall out of her eyes, that I know for sure! They are not easy to 'unsuction' from her eye. But often at the end of the day when I go to remove them most of the time one of them is missing! And no, she is not collecting them under her eyelids :)
Lastly, is the medic alert bracelet on her left hand. This is just reassurance for me that if we were in a car accident and I could not speak for her, the medics could see the bracelet, read her major issues and then call the included number and get the rest of her health information, drug allergies and emergency contacts. I also have a window sticker for the car so the medics know someone in the car is wearing a bracelet. This was all done online at http://www.medicalert.org/
They have cute bracelets for kids. I can go online and change her health information at any time.
So those are the highlights of this picture. Probably more information than anyone needs to know :).