Sunday, May 11, 2008

Any way they say it...

Today is Mother's Day and I was going to say that hearing the word "mom" from my children is the single best word I have ever heard. But then I realized that each of my kids 'says' "mom" in a different way. And each is as priceless as the other.

First, there is 23 year old Jimmy. He prefers 'mamma'. "Hi mamma, happy mother's day!" is what I heard on the phone this morning. Music to my ears. It has always been 'mamma'. I have him on tape when he was 4 years old. You know....when they talk endlessly..one sentence after another with barely a pause to hear your input. At least that was how Jimmy was at that age. Well, he always ended each sentence with 'huh mama?". Such as --"It's time for lunch, huh mamma?", "I don't like bandaids, huh mamma?", "I have school today, huh mamma?", "We don't like John to cry, huh mamma?", "I don't want to fall down, huh mamma?"........you get the idea. On and on it went. Today was no different. Mamma.

Then there is 19 year old John. John is more traditional. 'Mom' it is. Always was 'mom' and still remains 'mom'. So today I heard "Happy Mother's Day mom!" John was not as verbal as his brother and so I heard the word 'mom' less often from him as they were growing up. So when he said it-I paid attention. He needed his 'mom'. John was not frivolous, he saved his words, choosing to speak only when it meant something. And he remains true to this form today. When he calls from college and I hear through the receiver "Hi mom!" I close my eyes and enjoy the moment.

And finally Sarah. She 'says' mom through her eyes. It is the way they light up when she sees me or hears me or feels me. It is the smile that comes over her face and the way she turns her face to follow me around the room. It is the way she strokes my hair as I lean down to put on her shoes. No word at all. A feeling. A sense. A comfort. A mother.

Three different ways. Three different styles. But all the same.
Related Posts with Thumbnails